Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A Comedic Mixologist


If someone were to walk down the narrow street near the east gate of Kansai Gaidai, they will find many small karaoke bars and traditional Japanese restaurants. But a student doesn’t need to walk far to find a cheap yet delicious Japanese food bar—there is one right across from the east gate. The owner is a “master of comedy” (stated by his frequent customer) and a very talented mixologist. He serves variety of drinks, from non-alcoholic drinks such as Calpis to strong alcohol mixture such “Abu-gin-sky” and “Knock out,” but my favorite drink is his newest creation called “Lovers in snow.”

I explained about this portrait project and immediately he gives me a peace sign pose.

But since he has been mixing drinks for at least 15 years, I asked to take a picture of him making my “Lover in snow” and he was happy to show me even though he went through it very fast and my camera is horrible taking inside picture with clarity. I still choose to post this picture because he has an excited and happy expression as if mixing exotic drinks is his life purpose. The blurs further enhance the picture in the fact that it catches him in motion as he dances with his creation in joy.

Aside from being humorous, this barkeeper is very knowledgeable or at least he was willing to learn what visual anthropology is and what they do. He becomes surprised but very intrigue in this odd profession. I explained about blogging in the world of net and asked if he knows about it but he laughs and replies, “No. No. That’s for young people. I’m old.”

Before leaving I ask for one last picture. Probably due to years of making drinks after drinks, I noticed he likes to use his hands a lot because claps his hands together and exclaimed: “OlĂ©!”

Only after arriving home I realized I never gotten his name….




1 comment:

  1. I like the blurry picture because it shows him in action and we get a sense of his personality as well. What is in a "Lovers in snow" drink? Is it his original cocktail? Does he speak English? How does he feel about interacting with foreigners? You have a nice beginning here but there is more that readers want to know about.

    ReplyDelete