Thursday, May 13, 2010

Changing Impressions


Now reaching the end of the semester, I come to find that Japan is not as simple as how a travel magazine depicted. When I first arrived and even before I arrive in Japan, I had preconception that since Japan is an industrialized country, it should not be too different from the United States because the only difference should just be scenery, with grand temples and tons of gardens. Living in Japan should not be too difficult—or so I thought. Japan is full of bits and pieces of other cultures coming together in one place that can make one lose one’s way in searching for the “Japanese culture.”

That is why I come to realized that Japanese culture cannot be fully understood through observations but must be felt through experience…but of course there are things that a foreigner like me cannot even feel or comprehend even if I live here for 40 years unless I am Japanese with Japanese parents and raised in Japan. For example, why are there so many angles in a bow? Why do Japanese people love Western things so much yet still alter it to fit their taste? And why are Japanese so obsessed with cuteness?

I regret that my stay in Japan is too short for me to find answers to those questions because four months in Japan is only a little more than a tourist but way less than an anthropologist. In four months I only tackled the surface of Japan. But that doesn’t I am leaving empty-handed. I did learn that there is a deep hierarchy in Japanese society that is portrayed in the language and customs—how to address people in in-group and out-group, who must pour sake first, etc. However, taking this class has provided me the opportunity to learn about Japanese culture in details but at the same time also enjoy the magnificent view.

1 comment:

  1. Four months is too short, but it seems as though you have experienced a lot in this short time. I hope you have the chance to return and continue your visual anthropology of Japan. Thanks for your interesting blog.

    ReplyDelete